Sign in to follow this  
foulhaxor

Photoshop or Illustrator

9 posts in this topic

I am looking to get into graphic design and was wondering which was better photoshop or illustrator and what are the strengths and weaknesses of the two?

Photoshop and Illustrator have different focuses and complement each other so it's tough to say which is more useful.

Photoshop is pixel based, good for editing/re-working existing images and I find most useful for creating a layered/complex/textured look.

Illustrator is vector based, good for creating image from scratch and useful for achieving clean artwork, logos and text. 

Honestly you'll probably need to know both as a graphic designer. 

It depends on your intent. It is harder to take an image and create artful effects. However, if your intent is to fix  imperfections in images then photoshop is the way to go.

Both are important to learn, but they're entirely different applications. Illustrator is inherently vector based. Photoshop can accommodate working with vectors, but not to the extent that Illustrator can.

My rule of thumb is that vector goes to Illustrator and pixels goes to Photoshop. It's great to balance both program but if you have to choose one then Ps is the answer.