Sign in to follow this  
jj314

Football or Soccer?

25 posts in this topic

What is the correct term in your opinion? I am very interested in different use of speech e.g. words. So I am going to ask you what you think is most common or most correct to use for football/soccer.

soccer in America, football for the rest of the world in english. each language has its own name for it, though most are essentially a form of football (futbol, fussball), or calcio in italian, etc.

It just depends where you're from. I'm from the U.S. but kinda use them interchangeably. People who get up in arms about one or the other drive me nuts though, it really doesn't matter. Specifically people from the UK who hate when people say soccer don't realize that the English created and first used the word soccer, shortened form of association football to differentiate from I think it was rugby

On 5/14/2017 at 10:51 PM, tiratila said:

Football of course, don't know where the word soccer comes from but it sounds rather wrong

Football is the correct term, but America had already bastardised Rugby Football (which predates football football) - augmented the rules and slapped body-armour and spandex pants on the original sport of what is commonly known these days as rugby - and called it football before they ever took much of an interest in Association Football. When they reluctantly had to acknowledge that the world's most popular sport was actually a thing, they came up with the term "soccer" - taken from "Association" - to differentiate between actual football, where the foot and ball interact, and freedom football: steroid-addled retards running into each other between commercial breaks.

we call it football (soccer) coz its played with the foot, soccer is better but the atmosphere and beer keg parties before the games in USA look great